Saturday 9 May 2009

Penny Black Saturday Challenge #48



Good morning everyone, and welcome to week 48 of the Penny Black Saturday Challenge. It's been a quiet week on the crafting front from me as I had a stinking head cold for the first half of the week, and I've also been on holiday from work (typical!) trying to get some household jobs done and support my husband's efforts at decorating (bless him!). However I've still managed to peek at most of the fab entries for last week's challenge and have to say everyone really shaped up! (sorry!!) Don't forget to check the blog to see who won the fab gift voucher to spend at PB Stamps.


Onto this week's challenge which is to use three colours .....

black, white and 1 other

This week we have another gorgeous prize for one lucky entrant donated by our very own Carole .. namely these yummy flowers and ribbons. Don't forget that to be eligible for the prize the only rule is that you must use at least one Penny Black image or sticker on your creation.



Here is my card. I struggled a bit at first as I very rarely use a black and white colour combo. The whole thing started to come together when I started to think about colouring just one flower, and it occurred to me to pair the image with the sentiment "To brighten your day" - that's when I decided to use a pale yellow. I've kept things quite simple and have left quite a bit of "white space" on the card - I think I like it!

Recipe:
Image: Penny Black "Wind Caressed" - one flower coloured with Sakura sparkle pen;
Sentiment: Whiff of Joy (from the "Swirls" collection);
Paper: Doodlebug;
Supplies: lemon pearlised cardstock punched with Martha Stewart "scalloped dot" punch; black pearlescent cardstock from Papermania "gemstones" pack; adhesive ribbon by DCWV; flowers from my birthday gift from my lovely friend Carol; white sparkly brad by Doodlebug; leaves punched from "gemstones" cardstock using Leone Em Ash Branch punch; black gems by Hero Arts gifted to me by Domi.

Thanks for looking! I'm off to Port Sunlight today (Saturday) so hope to be back soon with some yummy new stash :-). Look forward to seeing your creations this week.

17 comments:

ribenaruby said...

This is a fabby card Pauline, love the white spaces, everything goes well, gorgeous bloom! Hope you're feeling better now and enjoy a great day.

Kaz said...

Oh Pauline this is really beautiful! Love you colour choice and the minimal colouring it works a treat.
Kaz xx

pinky said...

This is beautiful three colours I would never think of combining and it looks very elegant.
Pinky

tracie said...

Oh this is so beautiful Pauline, love the image and gorgeous details ~ fab work hun. Hope you've enjoyed your time off work.
Have a great weekend
Hugs
Tracie x

Mephisto said...

Wow, thats a fab Card hun.

Great Work.

Hugs
DOmi

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Pauline, I had to come straight over from the PB challenge blog to tell you how amazing your card is. I love the single coloured flower and I'm like you I struggle to leave any white spaces, but it looks fantastic. I must have to CASE this card! Hugs, Denise x

brenda said...

Pauline, this is beautiful, love how you have coloured just the one flower, really works well.

Brenda x

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Pauline,l love the image and colour.

Hugs Riet.x

Pat said...

Lovely card an I like your choice of colour to go with the black and white.

Pat xx

Tasha said...

Pauline this is such a beautiful card. I wouldnt have thought of putting yellow with black and white but it looks awesome! Im loving how you have coloured one of the flowers in the main image and the lovely flower at the bottom
love tasha xx

Helen said...

Beautiful card Pauline! Love the colour combo and the way you highlighted just one flower!
Helen x

Marcea said...

This is oneof the most stunning cards I have seen in ages. It is so appealing, I just adore it hunny. Can't wait to hear how your crafty day went
-x-

pickle said...

Oh wow pauline this is fabulous. I love the colour combo and how you have only coloured the one flower.
I love to see white space on a card xx

Marcea said...

Hi there hun, just want to say a massive thankyou for making my birthday so special. What a fab card you sent and thankyou for my wonderful gift - you are way too generous .... I love it all!
Big hugs
-x-

Rach said...

this is a fantastic card sweetie, love how you have just coloured the one flower.. everything works so well together..x

stephanne said...

Your white space is terrific. This card is a great creation. Your elements are perfectly chosen, a very well-balanced project, I love it!!
Stephanne

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

Beautiful card Pauline. The colour combo is so elegant and stylish. Love the image and papers.
Sharon xx